There is discussion about UBC and apparently there is a camp that says we should give up some and accept the idea in order to get some control over it. My take is as follows: You want UBCs? The Opposition has to give up a lot. And they should as they keep telling us this is the solution to end all gun problems.
So, what do I want in exchange for UBCs? here is my initial list:
- Basically goodbye to GCA 68. I’ll leave you with the chance to deny violent felons from owning guns, same for the criminally insane. No more ATF form 4473 or equivalent or any form of registration plus the rest of the idiocy in it.
- Background checks for those with concealed weapons permits are not needed. You walk in, pick your gun, show CWP, pay and leave.
- Goodbye NFA 34. The National Firearms Act is as obsolete as the Volstead Act.
- National Reciprocity.
- Transfer of a gun is defined as the sale or exchange of goods in value of the gun. Not this crap they are trying to pull of loaning a gun requiring a UBC.
- Access to NICS by civilians. I don’t need a third-party charging me a nasty fee for doing something that can be done through the internet or with a regular phone.
There are other things that may be included or are better suite to be fixed at the state level, but I am comfy with this exchange.
And let’s stop with the carrots and sticks. I am OK if you are a mule and need that kind of behavioral manipulation, but don’t assume everybody else goes for the same.