26 thoughts on “A tale of Two Cities: Chicago vs. Houston”

    1. Only one problem. There are many gun stores/dealers in Chicago and surrounding suburbs. Check the Yellow Pages.

      1. So what? Nonetheless, it’s Chicago – not Salt lake City or Vermont – that has the problem. In Houston, self-defense is legally protected. Texas is a shall-issue concealed carry state, so law-abiding citizens willing to pay the required fees, and receive training and pass an extensive background check can legally carry a sidearm.

        In Chicago (like Puerto Rico, DC, Camden and other low-crime bastions of safety) self-defense was essentially criminalized. Chicago’s gun control regime ensured that only the cops and the crooks carry firearms.

        In McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 742 (2010), Chicago’s gun control regime was recognized as illegal by the US Supreme Court. And what happened in the wake of the MacDonald decision? The murder rate declined to from 50 homicides per 100,000 population to roughly 43 homicides per 100,000.

        Banning self-defense by law-abiding citizens – and the necessary tools of self-defense – does not make us safer.

    1. I think of the children all the time and that is why I think they should be trained to use a suppressed Ruger 10-22 to protect their fragile ears.

      1. You’re creating soft, cuddly, pampered children, there, Miguel. Give em a set of ear protectors and a vintage Mosin with the metal plate on the butt. That’ll teach em how to shoot, and toughen em up to take over the crappy world they’re going to inherit one day.

  1. That’s kind of funny, actually. I listen to some Chicago talk radio on the way to work every morning, and usually when the murder rate jumps up the CPD brass usually blame warmer weather.

  2. Actually, although it was intended to be humorous, the final assertion in the image may hold a kernel of truth.

    Think about it: Do you change which gun(s) you carry based on the weather? I certainly find it easier to conceal larger guns during periods of colder weather…

  3. joke or not, 99% of the “facts “on here are wrong, and 2 min. of internet reserch would show you that. such as no gun shops in chicago…really? i found tons! pay attention to what you spread..

  4. It’s a funny quip. However, the facts cited ignore the population density disparity of the two cities. Chicago has 2.191 people per square foot (or each person gets .445 feet), while Houston has .634 every square foot (or each person gets 1.577 feet). Population density has a far greater affect on violent crime rates than gross population rates. The homicide rate cited for Chicago comes from the Metropolitan police department, which includes suburbs, but the other rates are demographics strictly for the the Incorporated City of Chicago. While the rates cited for Houston only include those from the Incorporated City of Houston. Essentially, this has so many fallacies, but it most definitely a straw man/composition/division/plurium interrogationum fallacy of False attribution.

    1. So population density explains why Chicago is so violent? Have you compared the population densities of various European cities with Chicago?
      The most densely populated sovereign nation is Monaco, with a population density of 47,850 per square mile. So Monaco must be a pretty dangerous place, right? It’s about as dangerous at Liechtenstein. (Zero homicides in 2008, the last year for which statistics readily available.)

  5. Miguel G,

    This comparison is interesting. It’s too bad the conclusion is so shallow. Secondly, Chicago and Houston have very different histories. Regardless of your views on gun ownership, it would be nice if more people took a better look at specifically where the majority of homicide and gun violence takes place in the City of Chicago, and consider what socioeconomic disparities have lead so many to depend on a livelihood involving violence, which has led to the development of generations with a completely different value for human life. I grew up near the Houston Astrodome and have lived in Chicago for the past six years. I love both cities. My heart aches for Chicago, and while I grew up in a household where everyone knew how to hunt and properly handle firearms, the city of Chicago has challenges that the city of Houston does not, and no, we do not need gun legislation that permits the sale of more firearms in the City of Chicago.

    Thanks Clown Ninja for caring about the facts.

  6. You may take this however you like. When perusing the crime statistics of Chicago, what no one seems to be willing to admit is that non-Hispanic whites, while comprising 31.7% of the population, commit barely 5% of the violent crimes. I wonder who commits the other 95%? (HInt: the Asian crime rate is practically non-existent).

Feel free to express your opinions. Trolling, overly cussing and Internet Commandos will not be tolerated .