Last week I mentioned a bill:
H.R.4789 – To allow Federal law enforcement officers to purchase retired service weapons, and for other purposes.
The text is now available:
SECTION 1. PURCHASE OF RETIRED HANDGUNS BY FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS.
(a) In General.—A Federal law enforcement officer may purchase a retired handgun from the Federal agency that issued the handgun to such officer.
(b) Limitations.—A Federal law enforcement officer may purchase a retired handgun under subsection (a) if—
(1) the purchase is made during the 6-month period beginning on the date the handgun was so retired; and
(2) the officer is not prohibited from possessing or receiving the handgun under the laws of the United States or the laws of the State, territory, or possession of the United States in which the officer resides.
(c) Cost.—A handgun purchased under this section shall be sold at the fair market value for such handgun taking into account the age and condition of the handgun.
(d) Sense Of Congress On Use Of Funds.—It is the sense of Congress that any amounts received by the Government from the sale of a handgun under this section should be transferred and used to fund Federal gun safety programs.
(e) Definitions.—In this section:
(1) the term “Federal law enforcement officer” has the meaning given that term in section 115(c)(1) of title 18, United States Code;
(2) the term “handgun” has the meaning given that term in section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code; and
(3) the term “retired handgun” means any handgun that has been declared surplus by the applicable agency.
The bill also has five co-sponsors, four of which are Republicans.
I like this bill. With the Army’s adoption of the M17 and more government agencies moving to 9mm and the SIG P320, there are going to be a lot of Glocks, SIGs, and Berettas in 40 S&W and 357 SIG which are going to be liquidated. Not to mention old guns that need replacement.
Nothing in this bill says federal LEOs can only buy their issued gun or that they cant resell it.
I really don’t have a problem with the money is going to federal gun safety programs. Bureaucrats love money. They are addicts for it. Sucking it in like cocaine up a A-list Celebrity’s nose.
If this goes well, I see the potential for some sort of federal LEO service pistol to CMP sale just to make more money. Once the government finds another revenue stream, they usually pump it for all that it’s worth.
I’ll support this bill with hope that it opens the door to even better things for us.
One thought on “HR 4789 is a good bill”
I see it working more like LEOSA. Once cops can buy guns from their department, they no longer need gun stores.
Login or register to comment.