I guess this list was missing from my Welcome package. Those from Florida will find some of the advice familiar; other advice, specially the polite-related ones will be totally new: It is OK, you will adapt soon enough.
1. Save all bacon grease. You will be instructed later how to use it.
2. If you do run your car into a ditch, don’t panic. Four men in the cab of a four wheel drive with a 12-pack of beer and a tow chain will be along shortly. Don’t try to help them. Just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.
3. Remember: “Y’all” is singular. “All y’all” is plural. “All y’all’s” is plural possessive.
4. Get used to the phrase, “It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.” And the collateral phrase, “You call this hot? Wait’ll August.”
5. Don’t tell us how you did it up there. Nobody cares.
6. If you think it’s too hot, don’t worry. It’ll cool down—in November.
7. A Mercedes-Benz is not a status symbol, a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford is.
8. If someone says they’re “fixin” to do something, that doesn’t mean anything’s broken.
9. The value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but the availability of shade.
10. If you are driving a slower moving vehicle, on a two lane road pull onto the shoulder. That is called “courtesy.”
11. BBQ is a food group. It does NOT mean grilling burgers and hot dogs outdoors.
12. Yes, weddings, funerals, and divorces must take into account for UT Football games.
13. Everything is better with Ranch dressing.
14. DO NOT honk your horn at us to be obnoxious. We will sit there until we die.
15. We pull over and stop for funerals and emergency vehicles to pass.
16. We respect the flag and the national anthem.
17. In most instances, “Bless your heart,” is a nice way of saying you’re an idiot.
18. No mater what kind—Sprite, Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew—it isn’t called soda or pop. It is all called “coke.”
19. We throw our hands up at random strangers passing by. It’s normal.
20. There will always be a tractor on the two lane when you are running late, so allow time for that.
21. Sweet tea is a food group.
22. Yonder IS a word.
23. If you don’t like the weather in Tennessee, wait 15 minutes, it will change.