Sine die definition – without any future date being designated (as for resumption)
We close this legislative year with two “pro-gun” bill. First is SB7030 which include the volunteer armed teachers in the Guardian program.
Second is HB 7059 – OGSR/Concealed Carry License/DACS: Records of those applying for a Concealed Weapons License via the Tax Collector’s office will remain confidential.
We did not get B 1238: Safety of Religious Institutions (Clarification on Church Carry). So be careful with your religious institution.
What did not pass:
- Including theaters and performing art centers as Gun Free Zones.
- Assault Weapons and Large Capacity Magazines Ban. (2 bills)
- Universal background Checks. (2 bills)
- Repealing State Preemption. (2 bills)
- Revising the standard under which a person is justified in using or threatening to use nondeadly or deadly force.
- Prohibiting a concealed weapon or firearm licensee from openly carrying a handgun or carrying a concealed weapon or firearm into any child care facility,.
- Reinforcing the Red Flag law.
- Shooting your firearms in your property prohibited unless it is larger than 5 acres.
- 3D firearms ban.
- Prohibition of minors posting firearm is social media.
- Reducing the number of years CWL are valid and “proficiency” test.
- Making anybody convicted of misdemeanor hate crime a prohibited person.
The bills pretty much died in birth. It seems there was no political stomach for it after all the political capital spent last year and the bitchslap to the school board, the BSO and gun control in general that represented the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission Report.
I am telling you what was not helpful: The state’s Gun Rights associations. I saw Marion Hammer once testifying in one committee and that was it. I saw nothing else from Unified Sportsmen of Florida and zero from Florida Carry in the Legislature.
It was an embarrassment. If we lose rights in Florida, we have nobody but ourselves to blame.
I am taking the weekend off from all Gun Rights stuff. Funny stuff will probably be posted for filler.