This is the way I do it.
As I drive in, a quick scan of the area to see if any unsavory elements are present. If so, move to the next station or wait another day.
1) I park closer to the pumps.
2) Driver door is wide open “blocking” one avenue of approach. Hose is “blocking” the other.
3) I do not stop scanning. My eyesight is only distracted starting and then finishing pumping.
4) Anybody coming close, gets a full scan and a “not friendly” eye contact.
5) I don’t need a receipt. I don’t wait around unnecessarily.
6) Hop in, close door, start engine and shift to drive so the doors lock automatically.
And for the love of all that is holy: Do not wear flip-flops outside the home unless you are by the pool or at the beach. Traction is a good thing to have.